Winter conditions make driving more dangerous, as winter roads that may be icy, slippery and with lots of snow. Whether you will be driving your auto, a trailer, a truck or a van, in any case of you are to be relocating in winter these driving in winter tips can make your job easier and safer for both short distances in Edmonton, AB or across Canada.
Driving in Winter Facts
Before getting on to the driving in winter tips here are some driving in winter facts. First, it would be no surprise to tell you that many accidents happen on the road during winter weather conditions because of the ice, snow, fog and lower visibility. Check the weather channel for expected blizzards at your location and your point of destination in order to avoid bad surprises.
Driving in Winter Tips
– Get your vehicle ready to go. Make sure that is is running well and it has all necessary liquids like a non-freezing washer solution and windshield washer fluids. Take our driving in winter advice to check the oil and make sure you have plenty of fuel just in case. And use winter tyres.
– Clean up the snow and ice on the windows as they will prevent good visibility. When on the road if visibility is really low use the car’s headlights.
– Check your emergency road kit and always keep one in your vehicle before driving on winter roads. Take some extra medications with you as well. We don’t mean to stress you up but as they say it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. You don’t need to worry about driving in winter weather conditions or be afraid – just take whatever precautions are needed and then enjoy the ride!
– Pack up for extreme situations. In any case driving in the winter safely will mean be ready for other situations. Take with you in the car a blanket, some food and water. If you are relocating with your family take some games to play together and some music to listen or a radio and some batteries for it of course. Take also a sleeping bag, flashlight, tools and sand.
– Have a shovel with you in the car in case there is snow or heavy snowing is expected.
– Always have chains in your car when driving in winter weather conditions.
– When you get on the road keep the speed low. Driving on winter roads is going to be less risky if you go with a speed that is appropriate for the weather. So don’t speed even if you’re late. Safety driving in winter conditions is more important than being on time.
– Keep your hands steady on the wheel, both hands and keep your eyes on the road. It may seem like a no-brainer and it is but what we’re saying is that you should be careful. This driving in winter advice alone can decrease accidents on the road a lot.
– Accelerate and stop gradually. For driving in the winter safely go slower than usual and keep a safe distance between you and the other vehicles on the road. Especially if you are driving a larger vehicle that’s a prerequisite for safety driving in winter conditions.
– If you have to use the breaks, be gentle as well. When driving in winter weather conditions speed has to be handles with caution.
Whenever driving in winter seems like a job almost impossible, you should hire the services of professional Edmonton movers to help you. This will be the safest decision you can make instead of driving on winter roads by yourself.
Original source: https://www.mymovingreviews.com
Provincial Moving & Storage will service any local and long distance move to and from Edmonton, AB and anywhere else in Canada. To receive a free moving quote and to help plan your move locally in Edmonton or moving long distance from Edmonton to Calgary, Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, or other cities in Canada, Click Here to submit your inquiry.