Moving to or from Edmonton, AB or elsewhere in Canada can be an exciting experience but remember, moving involves a lot of planning and effort. It can be quite stressful if you are unprepared. So, creating a moving checklist will enable you to prepare for your move by knowing well in advance when to get things done and the order in which you need them to be done.
With help from a very useful step-by-step to-do list, you can plan for having an organized move, as well as assisting your Edmonton moving company.
The tips below will help you get a sound to-do list ahead of your moving day:
2 months before
- Sort through all cupboards, closets and drawers to eliminate what you don’t need.
- Begin searching for well rated Edmonton moving companies. Always request for an on-site estimate and don’t depend on any quote over the phone. Its best to get an estimate in writing from a moving company in Edmonton.
- Make a moving binder to keep track of all your estimates, receipts and inventory of all the items you will be moving.
6 weeks before
- Finalize rental or real estate requirements.
- Inform your children’s school/schools of your move. Get in touch with new schools for getting enrollment details.
- Ask your doctors to suggest doctors in your new community.
- Begin using perishable/frozen foods that you don’t need to move.
- Take measurements at your new home to ensure that large furniture pieces can pass through the door.
1 month before
- Choose a reliable Edmonton moving company and get written details of your moving day, costs and other related details.
- Inform utility firms to disconnect services a day after you move. Make sure to get the new service activated a couple of days before your arrival at your new home. For getting information regarding utility services, contact the chamber of commerce located in your new town.
- Do a change of address by visiting your local post office and filling out a form for change of address.
- Inform all important parties of your move including brokerage firms, your employer’s human resources department, banks, newspapers (to which you subscribe), insurance, utility and credit card companies.
- Separate valuable like jewelry and other important files to some safe box that you plan to transport personally to your new house.
- If you want to pack yourself, then order packing supplies and begin packing boxes. Make a note of the items of high value that may need additional insurance from your moving firm.
2 Weeks Before
- Intimate your office that you need to be off from work on the moving day.
- You should plan your meals for the last weeks to make use of your food.
- If you are going to change banks, then make sure to remove all the contents of your locker/safe-deposit box and placing them in the safe box that you intend to take along with you on the moving day.
- Contact the moving company for reconfirmation of arrangements.
1 Week Before
- Organize all important documents and store them where they are safe and accessible.
- Make sure to keep all essential items needed for your Moving Day Survival Kit to move through your planned move safe and sound.
- Refill prescriptions that you will require during the next few weeks.
- Arrange deposit or payment for the moving company.
- Write clear directions to your new house for the selected moving company. Make sure to confirm the delivery date and give your cell phone number and your itinerary number to the moving company.
- Pack and carry your first-night box.
- Check all closets and rooms last time to ensure nothing gets left behind.
- Be ready ahead of the arrival of the moving company so that they can start the moving process promptly.
- Lock all windows, turn off lights and close all doors. To make sure nothing is left behind, just have a final tour of the house once the movers have completed.
- Sign the bill of inventory list and keep a copy of it with you before the movers leave.
Provincial Moving & Storage will service any local and long distance move to and from Edmonton, AB and anywhere else in Canada. To receive a free moving quote and to help plan your move locally in Edmonton or moving long distance from Edmonton to Calgary, Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, or other cities in Canada, Click Here to submit your inquiry.